Monday, September 29, 2008

Wild ride on the Million Dollar Highway

I was leaning toward Todd a lot going south. He kept telling me he was hugging the yellow lines and he would not take his eyes off it!
This is coming back North to Ouray
This is also traveling north, and notice how close the white line is to the edge of the road.

Our visit to the" Million Dollar Highway" was just as we expected. We had been forewarned
by Todd's Mother Leslie. Leslie and Ron had been there a few weeks earlier, and had their wild ride on the highway.


If anyone wants to travel south to Silverton or beyond from Ouray, they must do so on the Million Dollar Highway. I am wondering if it is the scariest highway in America! It gets scary just beyond the "Switzerland of America" sign just leaving Ouray, and for about 11 or 12 miles it is white knuckles for any passengers. The driver however feels a little bit safer, because he or she has control of the car. This highway has two lanes, no shoulders, and no (yes, I repeat no) guardrails, and about a 100-300ft drop off on one side. I am posting some of the pictures I took of the highway, on our way back to Ouray from Silverton. I was too scared to take many pictures on the way there.

4 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Remind Tony & I not to take this drive... looks a bit scary.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

Michele and Todd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trent & Tara said...

Whoa..you guys are really brave. Glas you made it safe and everything.You will always remember this trip...You guys so deserved it. Happy Anniversary. I love you.

LaRae said...

OK - this looks scary! Sounds like you had a great trip & took some amazing photos - what beauty you found in Ouray!